Monday, January 11, 2010

January, Oh How I Dislike Thee... Let Me Count the Ways

Hmmm. Where to begin? It always feels like I have to slog through January. There's such a let down after all of the build up to the holidays.
Then there's the air. It is so disgusting. You can see it and taste it and feel it in your throat. (It burns.) Isn't it the worst in the nation? Not to mention that it also completely covers my view of Mt. Olympus.
Then there's the cold. The bitter, bitter cold. Every morning when I wake up and go to turn on my kitchen sink, I get no water. That's because it gets so cold every night, that the pipes to my kitchen sink and dishwasher freeze. So, I have to trudge outside with my handy space heater, plug it in, and point it into the vent on the wall behind my kitchen sink and let it blow until the water starts flowing again. This gets a little old, you know? I live in a day and age where I expect to get water when I turn on my faucet! (It is no secret that I would have been a terrible pioneer.)
Then there's the disgusting layer of dirt, grime and road salt that covers every inch of my car, so that I can barely stand to touch it when I have to open and close the doors.
And then, there's the problem of my wild kids who get so pent up from being inside all the time that they drive me crazy trying to drive each other crazy. And I can't send them outside because of the disgusting air. Yep, pretty much I'm already in my countdown to spring. (Or at least until the next storm shows up to warm things up a little and clear out the air!)

The most ironic part of this post is that as a family we're trying to have "an attitude of gratitude" this month. Clearly, I am failing miserably right now, but I am grateful to have a space heater, and a car, and to have a view of the mountains on the good days, and I love my kids even when they need to get out! Really, I have a million things that I am grateful for, I'm just not sure that January makes the list. And hey, the sun is shining! (At least I think it is, it's a little hard to tell through all the haze.)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Amen. I'm not very happy about homework starting up again either.