Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sometimes It's All A Matter of Perspective

It's no secret that since the arrival of baby #5 I have really struggled with staying on top of things. (Let me rephrase that - especially since baby #5 - because realistically I wasn't always on top of it before then.) Anyway, I just can't seem to get everything done. My floors and bathrooms haven't been cleaned in I don't know how long because I just can't find time to get to them. All of the other necessary things take up all of my time. I often feel like I am spending all of my time just picking up after everyone, and sometimes I even feel a little resentful about it. I feel like I am always just working to check things off of my list. (I do realize that there is no such thing as done, because so many chores, like laundry and dishes, regenerate daily.) My problem is that I can't really relax and enjoy myself if there is a lot of clutter or things undone, but I know I am missing out on some important things by being too focused sometimes on these things that need doing. At the end of the day I am too often not a great mom, because I'm tired and haven't enjoyed how I spent my day. But I found a couple of things to help me with my perspective. (All of these are found on a great website I found on my cousin's wife's blog. Rachelle, does that make you my cousin-in-law? Anyway, it is powerofmoms.com.)

1) Calling Cards - changing my perspective
I read this and loved the idea of looking at the things that my kids leave around as their personal calling cards. So next time I have to move a lego creation off of a couch cushion so I can sit down, or pick up the pieces of another fabulous craft project, or collapse into bed at night only to find polly pockets in there, I will look at those objects as calling cards. Messages from my individual children saying, "Hey, Mom. I was here. I hope you're thinking of me." I may even try to think of this as I pick up all of the discarded socks, backpacks, papers, dress-ups, pajamas and other articles of clothing that are left around.

Hopefully more often than not, I will try to forget my lists and projects and just enjoy the moment with my children, because they are young for such a short time. And I live in fear that my kids will grow up and their only memory of me will be that I was always cleaning. They are growing up behind my back as I wipe counters and sweep floors. (And lucky for me, whatever doesn't get done will still be there waiting for me the next day.) However, I also live in fear of being buried alive in all of our stuff if I don't keep up with the cleaning. I estimate it would take 48 to 72 hours before we all disappear. So clearly finding a balance would also be nice.

3)Ordinary Days - keeping it in perspective
On those days when I am so tired of playing pretend, and I really don't want to read that story again. Or when I worry that I'm not doing enough "fun" things with the kids or taking them to someplace great, I will watch this video to remind me of how important all of these ordinary days are.

Because when it comes right down to it, I don't want to miss any more of this...





...than I already have.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

OH it's SOOOO true, thanks for the reminder. I too am trying to enjoy the little moments here and now.

KimberlyD said...

It's so nice to hear the true confessions of a Mother. I think we all struggle wth balance through every stage of parenting. It is nice to be reminded that I am not the only one feeling that way. I love your suggestions for changing the perspective.