Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2 Items of Business

First, it was silly dress-up day at Duffy's preschool. So essentially she got to dress how she would probably dress if it were completely up to her every day. (Especially the hair and shoes.)Second, the sun was shining and I might even go so far as to say it was warm outside. So I closed the door (figuratively and literally) on all of my inside duties and went out with the kids to enjoy it. I was able to have my own personal singing and dancing show by Duffy where I was told to clap at all of the appropriate places. (Oh, to have the uninhibited joy of a 3 year old. She was just running and dancing all over the yard while singing songs for me. I will miss that when she gets bigger.)
Peter is at that oh-so-perfect stage where he isn't sure that he wants to put his hands on the grass to get somewhere. So, with a few toys at his disposal, he was perfectly happy to sit and play on the blanket and watch Duffy's performance. (I'm sure the stage won't last long. It never does. Soon enough, the desire to get to something off the blanket will overcome the desire to not touch the grass, and it will all be over.)

I'm sure the fact that there was a cookie for him on the blanket, helped to keep him happy.
And, I also read "Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman" by Emily Watts, while sitting out there. Anyone who uses a laundry analogy to describe herself has my attention. She describes herself as a 14-towel woman in a 10-towel capacity life. I totally relate to that. Also picked up another great perspective tactic from her. She talks about "reversing the buts". Instead of "I love you, but you are driving me crazy," you say, "You are driving me crazy, but I love you." Or, "I have a great job, but it is really stressful," you try, "My job is really stressful, but I have a great job." When you put the positive thing last in the sentence, the focus is entirely different. An idea to file away in my brain for later use.

I can see that the forthcoming spring days will do absolutely nothing for my productivity, but they will be oh, so good for my soul!

2 comments:

Rob said...

You'll never use it, but, that whole positive statement thing is a good idea.

KimberlyD said...

Spring is great for my soul too!