Monday, March 29, 2010

Amelia Turns 6!

It was Amelia's big day today. I just love how excited kids get for their birthdays. (I'm trying to remember at what point I lost that enthusiasm for getting older.)I just love those big brown eyes, and that sweet smile. And she really is a sweetheart. Always looking out for everyone, taking care of her younger siblings, thoughtful and kind.
Always lots of fun for everyone to see what is under the wrapping paper.


Of course, our resident cake boss stepped in and created Amelia's self-designed cake, complete with flowers, her initials and a number 6, as well as the snowflake dancers from The Nutcracker - on a stage. (Try tying all of those things together.) Shawn was working with a new medium this time - fondant instead of the typical frosting. I think it opens up all sorts of design possibilities.

In true Stringham fashion, we only had about 15 or 20 minutes to celebrate. She very quickly had to unwrap her presents, blow out her candles, eat cake and ice-cream, and then we were off to Samantha's school play. Fortunately, it was enough for her.
I love that she carefully holds her hair out of the way while she blows out the candles.
And with a little assistance from Shawn, the candles are out.

I just can't believe how quickly she has gone from this:
to this:and from this:
to this:
Happy Birthday Amelia!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

So cute! And I am seriously impressed with the cake!

jill said...

okay wait, wait, wait. who decorated the cake??!

Carol said...

Nice Cake! What a fun time it is to be 6 years old. Your baby is getting big, fast!!! Glad to see everyone is well!

Julie said...

WOW - I'm just impressed you got the b-day post up when the b-day actually happened, plus the awesome cake - way to go! My poor 6-year old is still waiting patiently for her party and I haven't done a b-day post yet. BAD mom!!

KimberlyD said...

My kids have decided that they want Shawn to make their birthday cakes too.