Thursday, March 4, 2010

Project, Done....Finally

This project has been at least 7 months in the making. I bought the sheets back in about August when Samantha (who is the most physically active sleeper I know) wore holes right through her existing sheets. So, it seemed an opportune time to finally get the girls some matching bedding. I decided to make these reversible covers for their comforters. (I'm not really sure why. I have zero sewing skills, their comforters are two different sizes, and I can barely - or not - keep up with the regular household duties around here.)After a couple of months of the sheets sitting around, I decided to try to make them in time for Christmas. I did get them all sewn together, but was much too intimidated by these:
the button holes.
I had no idea how to do them and apparently neither did my Mom - my go to person for all things sewing. So they were put away. Then I decided to try for Samantha's birthday, but ran out of have time and still couldn't deal with the button holes. Finally, this past week, having been under the weather, and not wanting to deal with the regular household duties, I decided to pull out my sewing machine manual and learn how to sew button holes. It wasn't really that bad. Of course, I still had to sew on a total of 20 buttons between the 2 comforters, but it is so nice to have this done and not taking up space in the back of my brain anymore! And I have 2 happy girls, so that's a bonus.



4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, I'm impressed. And also glad that my sewing machine is broken, so I have a good excuse for not coming up with any similar project. I did get the girls' room cleaned out and rearranged today, yeah! Although it's probably already been destroyed by now.

Melissa said...

I'm impressed because cleaning out and organizing my girls room can not possibly be done in a day!

Rachelle said...

Cute! There's always Bonnie in the future, she is amazing and all-knowing for sewing...she saves me all the time and has made some of the most beautiful things for my kidos!!

Keersten said...

Darling! Way to go no-sew girl. (I can so relate. I am really intimidated by sewing, but trying to learn. Actually, my sewing machine was out on the table for most of last week while I tried to get a couple of projects done. We would just push it back in the corner and eat around it. How sad is that?)