Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Haircuts and Caterpillars

Since Amelia is out of school this week and has been begging to get her haircut short, today seemed like a good day to do that. And since Amelia wanted a haircut, so did Megan. (She actually needed one so it was OK.) I think the girls just love going in and climbing up on a chair and being the center of attention for a few minutes.

We took 4 or 5 inches off of Duffy's hair. (She still wanted to be able to put it in a bun, so it's gone from almost waist length, to just below her shoulders length.)

Amelia ended up with about 31/2 to 4 inches taken off.

And at the last minute, I decided to let them finish the haircut we started on Peter a few weeks ago. I figured, sitting in a little car while watching a video would help him hold still. When Shawn saw that he had a haircut he asked me if they had a head vice or something. No- just a talented kid hair cutter.I still can't believe how much older he looks. All little boy and no baby. I kind of expect him to talk and walk when I see him, but no, he's still my baby in that regard. (Well, he does walk a little.)
He was pretty happy to have a balloon and a sucker.

Here are some not very good shots of the after:
Every time I look at Amelia, I think of Ramona Quimby. But this cut does look really cute on her.
Duffy's hair was in braids, so you can't really see the difference. Looks the same only shorter.
And Peter:
And the other thing that I've been meaning to mention for quite some time, but somehow forgot to take pictures of, is our caterpillars. When they arrived, there were 10 teeny, tiny little caterpillars. Everyday we have watched them grow. This morning, we had 10 very large caterpillars...
...and tonight, they are all either in cocoons or very near to it. This whole process is so fascinating. I think it is one of our favorite springtime things to do.

Once they are all chrysalids for a couple of days, we will very gently move them into the butterfly house and wait patiently for them to "hatch" into beautiful Painted Lady butterflies. (Similar to Monarchs.) Always fun to get up in the morning and see what has happened! I'll try to be a little more diligent in my documentation.

No comments: