Monday, February 15, 2010

Ski Day

This photo right here explains why most people with more than a couple of kids, don't ski. There is so much "stuff" involved! And this isn't even all of it. There are no skis or poles and we were all still wearing half of the required clothing. I'm estimating this will be at least a 2 day recovery process by the time all of this is cleaned up, washed and put away.But if I can manage to put that all aside (along with all of the effort involved to get everybody ready,) I still have to say that we had a really fun day. This was Duffy's first ski day this season and she did great. I was a little hesitant myself since it has been a couple of years since I skied, but after a couple of runs it started coming back to me.
Shawn was awesome in helping Duffy to ski while also carrying Peter around zipped inside his coat. (Back to that whole spectacle thing.)
I couldn't believe how happy and pleasant Peter was despite the cold and being smushed whenever Shawn leaned over to help Duffy.
The little kids got tired out by the end, but I loved being able to watch how much everyone has learned since the last time I was able to ski with them. Amelia skis completely on her own including getting on and off the lift, which is just awesome. (Those ski lessons are really paying off.)
Duffy, like all of our kids liked going fast down the mountain and not so much of the practicing slowing down and stopping. But, as long as she enjoyed it, I'm OK with that.
My little snowbunnies.
Shawn stayed with and then took the little kids home and I was able to ski with Jonas and Samantha and I had so much fun. I think I slowed Jonas down a little but it was so great to be able to ski with them and not be waiting for them or having to help them. And I think they loved taking me to all of their favorite jumps and places to ski.
If I manage to dig out of the pile of ski stuff before the week is through, I will probably even consider going again.

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

You guys are amazing, taking even the baby, I am impressed. Oh and the laundry, gotta love it!!

skinny said...

In terms of the spectacle thing, I am quite tempted to get a sign that says "Its not nice to stare, or point" or "No photos, please" I had a Japanese tourist literally stop me and ask to take a photo. I obliged. I am big in Japan.....

Anonymous said...

You guys look like you are having so much fun. Hauling all the kids and ski gear up the mountain is all worth it.

Thierry said...

Wow. You have got to be the coolest 'parents of five' ever! :) That pile makes me exhausted just looking at it.

Rachel said...

You guys rock. I suck.

Actually, I've never been downhill skiing, but that looks really fun and makes me want to try it out...with the whole family...that is going to cost us 1 million dollars to get all the gear for everyone and ....nevermind. I'm not going after all.

Julie said...

How fun - those are the days your kids will remember forever!!

The Photo Scrooge? said...

This just seals the deal. If I ever take up skiing, it will be a 100% solitary pursuit. I have no interest in this.