Saturday, September 1, 2012

I Couldn't Possibly Be This Old, Could I?

It really seems like just 5 minutes ago that I was walking out of the hospital with Jonas in my arms as we were starting our little family.
I just can't believe that it's been 14 whole years.  Where did my little baby go?  He's grown up a bit since then, and I guess Shawn and I have, too, but I really don't feel old enough to have a 14 year old!
Jonas is so easy to please that it's actually kind of hard.  This was our conversation the night before his birthday. 

 Me:  Is there anything special you want to have for breakfast tomorrow?
J:  I guess I'll just have cereal.
Me:  You don't want anything like pancakes or crepes or waffles?  You know it's OK to have something other than your usual bowl of Cheerios.  It is your birthday after all.
J:  I guess I could have Frosted Cheerios or something.

Really?  That's all the kid's going to ask for?  Yeah, I went to the store and bought him some Frosted Cheerios for breakfast.  (I even threw in some Apple Jacks as a bonus.)  He wasn't much more help with gift ideas, either.  He really just never asks for anything.
His morning was pretty typical, but there were a few presents waiting for him .
Woody and Buzz were there too, keeping an eye on things.  If you've ever seen Toy Story, you know how they feel about birthdays.  Hopefully this one wasn't too stressful since these were Jonas's presents and not Peter's.  Not too much competition this time around.


Of course, we made him wear the birthday crown and  he decided to open just a couple of presents before school.  He was the only kid without a pillow pet and we didn't want him to feel left out, so Swoop seemed the perfect solution.

These other pictures showed up when I downloaded the camera.  I guess the little kids were doing a little birthday posing after Jonas headed off to school.


Goofballs.
 I showed up at the junior high and checked Jonas out of school so we could go to lunch.  Once again, he made things easy by choosing someplace super fancy.  We enjoyed a lovely lunch at Einstein Bros.
Although I asked him all afternoon if there was anything special he wanted to do, he really couldn't think of anything.  We ended up going to dinner with my parents and Rob and Michelle's family at El Farol's where he unwrapped a stack of new books.  Perfect.  I meant to take a picture but just forgot once we were there.  I hope his day was a good one, even though he's not big on huge celebrations.

I just can't believe that we are only 5 years away from sending him on a mission.  I already know how fast those years will fly by.  Happy 14th Jonas!  Thanks for being such a great kid.

(And just for the record - I am still taller than he is as of his 14th birthday - but just barely.)

No comments: