Monday, September 24, 2012

Let's Just Remember That Fall Has Barely Started, OK?

 I cling to summer with everything I have.  I hope for warm days well into the fall.  I wish for the longer days to last just a little bit longer.  I hope and hope that winter is along ways off.  But, certain other people in my house do not share my sentiments.  At all.  At the very first signs of cooler nights and earlier sunsets, at the very first hint of fall leaves, something shifts for them.  All of a sudden summer is forgotten and it is time to think about skiing.  Now I enjoy skiing.  I really do.  But I could do with a lot more summer in my life and maybe a couple months of good winter skiing.  Then, I'm ready to be warm again.  But those other people in my life feel a little differently about it.  Shawn is practically giddy as the ski gear magazines start showing up and is ready to sign up for ski passes at practically the very first possibility to do so.  And then yesterday, Samantha asked if she could make cupcakes.  When I finally relented under conditions of full clean up, she declared that they were going to be ski cupcakes.  Really?!  We're only 2 days into fall here! Can't we just enjoy it?  This is what I'm up against, people.  

After frosting all of her cupcakes, she covered them with a healthy dose of powdered sugar (snow) and dug through Jonas' legos to find some skiers, skis and snowboards. 
 See those happy faces on the lego guys?  That's the same look Shawn and Samantha get when they start thinking about skiing.
 I don't know that Amelia particularly cared about the skiers, but she was happy to have something involving frosting and powdered sugar.  (A double dose.)

 Oh, those happy little skiers and snowboarders make me wish for surfing cupcakes instead.  Now those, I could get behind.  Hot outside temperatures made bearable by being pulled behind a boat on a surfboard.  Really, it doesn't get any better than that in my mind.

 But instead I'm stuck with these little reminders of the cold and snow that is just around the corner.

 Like I said, they are serious about this whole ski season thing.  At least I can still see the green grass and leaves on the trees out back.  It's not over yet, and I plan to enjoy every last minute of it!


1 comment:

Julie said...

haha - love it! That is something Liza would want - every week I keep hearing, "when do I start ski team . . . when do I get to go ski . . " UGH, i'm not ready either!!