Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Passing of the Torch

The time has come (and is probably overdue), for the older kids around here to start learning some important life skills. Today, Jonas was enrolled in Lawn Mowing 101. As you can see, Shawn is thrilled to be passing on this particular skill.And here, you can see progress being made. Shawn really wanted to make sure his rows were nice and straight, so he kept a close eye on him.
According to Merrillee Boyak (author of "The Parenting Breakthrough", and a concept that I strongly believe in,) it takes an average of 8 "training" sessions for a child to learn a skill sufficiently. So we have about 7 more training sessions and then we can sit back and enjoy the ride, right?
Samantha is a couple of training sessions into learning how to do the laundry, as well. So, now I'm wondering, what other jobs can Shawn and I get rid of?

P.S.
Coming back from vacation and being thrown full-force into real life is more than I was ready for. I'll see if I can get back to the daily post and get back on track, but really, I wish I were still in Hawaii. Maybe I'll even get some vacation photos posted.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

One of my very favorite parenting books...love it!!

Yes home from vacation is ROUGH! Good luck with adjusting from something as relaxing as Maui! So glad you guys went, hope it was amazing!