Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

I don't know where in the world summer went.  The whole thing just flew by this year, and here we are  at the beginning of the school year already.  The kids were really good about getting up and getting themselves ready and finishing their practicing today, so they got the special treat of having Shawn make their lunches for them.  (Usually they have to do that themselves.)  I don't imagine all of our school mornings will go this smoothly, but at least I know it is possible for everyone to get up, get ready and practice in the morning.

 Jonas was the first one out the door of course.  We are really hoping that 8th grade is a happier year than 7th grade was.  He is working on having a positive attitude.  (So am I.)
 Then the girls had to leave about 45 minutes later.  Duffy has been so excited for first grade, she could hardly wait.
 She inherited (by choice) Amelia's old backpack.  I love seeing these little kids with these enormous backpacks.
 This is one happy and excited first grader!
 Samantha hasn't been quite as excited for the start of school, (which I totally understand,) but she is so social, I know once she's with her friends again, she'll be happy to be there.
 Plus, I think 6th grade is such a fun year.

 Amelia is in the "happy that school is starting" camp.  She is thrilled to be starting 3rd grade. 

 Showing off her new backpack.

 I'm glad that these 3 have one more year at the same school together.  I think it's fun to have siblings nearby at school.

 There was a bit of mayhem trying to find the right places for everyone to line up, but Amelia quickly found some friends and her class line.
 When it was time to line up and go in, Megan finally showed a little bit of hesitation.  She was a little nervous about the whole thing, but was still pretty happy.  I've been asking for weeks if she wouldn't rather just stay home with me and Peter.  We are both going to miss her so much.  But she has been adamant that she wants to go to school all day and learn Spanish.  Oh, first grade makes me so sad.  (But I'm proud of myself for holding it together and not crying while I said good-bye.)
 And Samantha who was so sure she didn't want to go to school started out with one good friend,
 then added another,
 and still another bestie...
 until she was surrounded with this whole group of fun girls.
 Yeah, I think she's going to be just fine this year.
The question is, will I be OK this year?
The house is pretty lonely and quiet without them here.
Time to focus on the things I can get done while they're gone.  Plus I've got to get ready for the onslaught of papers to sign and homework to check...
Here we go!

1 comment:

cc said...

Hard to believe it is already the first day of school. The kids are tall!!! this year.