Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Running

So, I run.  No new news there.  But, I don't always love to run.  In fact, a lot of the time I just dread it.  There are days that the thought of walking out my door and heading out on one of my usual routes - again-  is just too much.  Sometimes this leads to taking some time off from running until I miss it again, but other times, that option isn't available.  Like now for instance, because Ragnar is coming up and not running is NOT a good way to prepare for that event.  So, I have to find other viable solutions.  Sometimes, it means driving somewhere else just to run a new route, and sometimes it means taking to the trails.
I was so sore this day that I wasn't planning to run at all, but decided I could handle a little recovery run if I headed up the canyon.
The problem with trail running?  It's so beautiful and pleasant that sometimes your 5 mile recovery run turns into a 10 mile something else.  I just kept telling myself, "OK, at the top of that hill I'll turn around."  Or, "I just want to see the view around that bend, and then I'll turn back."  I think it was finally the heat and the fact that my allotted time was running out, that sent me back.  (I may have been getting a little hungry and thirsty, too.)
The views were beautiful.


Every time I'm in the mountains, I wonder why I don't spend more time there.



I went to the top of that little peak before heading home.  I may have to go back and hit the one behind it next time.
I should say that this daytime trail run was only possible thanks to the lack of educating happening at the junior high the last week of school.  Jonas attended all of 4 his classes on Monday, only 2 on Tuesday and one on Wednesday with no plans to go at all tomorrow, which left him home available to babysit for me.  Not a bad deal for either one of us, I guess.

Now to figure out where I will run next.

No comments: