Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 23 - Marsh Family Christmas

Seasons Greetings...

and a little Christmas Craziness!


The 23rd is always the date of my family's Christmas party.  My parents set it up that way years ago so there would never be conflicts with other family parties on Christmas Eve or Christmas.  So far, it has worked out.
First, we start with a big dinner.  There are far too many of us to actually sit at one table, so there are multiple tables.  Here are the 4 big kids.
The little girls got to sit at the bar.
And all of the big people (and Peter) got to sit at the big table.
Then we move on to present opening, followed by reading the Christmas story and singing carols.  We finish up with my Dad sharing his thoughts and then a family prayer.  I love the spirit we feel at the end of the night.
This photo cracks me up because it is just so typical.  Both Robbie and Jonas find a book and totally disappear.  I love how they are sitting at opposite ends of the couch here.
The kids could hardly stand the wait, but they were very patient.
Since Peter was the youngest in attendance, he got to open his present first.  Ainsley was there to help him out.

He was so excited when he saw what it was.  If you remember here, he was very upset that I wouldn't get him Slinky that day, so this was pretty awesome. (If people ask him what he got for Christmas, Slinky is almost always the first thing he mentions.  Yeah, I'm posting this way past Christmas, so that's why I know that.)

Ainsley is always so fun to watch.  Just look how excited she is about her Little Mismatched socks.
Duffy was pretty happy, too.  Anything to add to her wardrobe ensembles that will make her look "fancy."
Lots of playing with Slinky.
Jake was pretty excited about the Keith VanHorn figurines that Shawn got for him.
Jonas was really happy to get something other than underwear.  For the last couple of months I have literally begged him for gift ideas.  I finally threatened him that if he wouldn't give me any ideas he would only get underwear...
...and I followed through.  Believe me, by the end of Christmas, he was so tired of opening pairs of underwear that I hope next time I ask him what he would like, he'll give me some actual ideas.

Rob trying out his Christmas gift.
It is always nice to spend time with family for the holidays.  Although, it sometimes seems like a lot of work and effort, I am grateful for our traditions and grateful for our connections with our families.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Look at you, catching up! I'm so happy to hear that Slinky Dog was a hit. Whenever anyone here gets a slinky it is tangled and destroyed within hours...