Monday, December 26, 2011

A Very Judy Christmas

Shawn put the annual December 23rd Marsh Family Christmas celebration on the calendar in those words: "A Very Judy Christmas." When Jonas saw it, he moaned and said, "Ohhhh, do I have to go to that play?" Only if you want to celebrate Christmas with your family, I guess. It made us laugh.

It was a little tight to rush back from skiing, get almost everyone somewhat presentable and head downtown, but we made it - only a little bit late. It didn't help that trying to park downtown near Temple Square at Christmas time is already a bit of a nightmare. We ended up parking quite a bit farther away than we intended to and made quite a spectacle carrying folding chairs and bags of presents with kids trailing behind us. Oh well, we're used to the whole spectacle thing.

Once we got there, of course, the first order of business was finding cousins to hang out with. I love this picture of Samantha and Joey. (By the way, in our rush to get out the door, I forgot my camera, so all photos in this post are courtesy, once again, of Michelle. Good thing she was more prepared than I was.)
Peter had to hang with the girls since Rob and Michelle weren't kind enough to supply him with a same-aged cousin. (Matt and Anne either for that matter. He's kind of on his own.)

All the kids were spread around the place at different tables since the main table just isn't big enough to accommodate everyone.

Silly girls.
Peter was at a table with cousins Clara and Charlie. It was fun to have them in town for a few days, too.
Dinner prep is underway with all of the kids sitting ready and waiting for the grub.

This picture looks like Shawn was giving a big speech or something, but I think I would have remembered if he did, so I think he was just standing there.
And the great gathering around the table begins...



A few of the attendees:
My Grandpa Backman and Grandma Janet (They always get a special invite.)
My brother Dan with his hideous "Brigham beard" and his wife, Lisa.
My brother Jake with two of his fans.

My brother Rob (looking his best) with his wife, Michelle.
(And a slightly more tame picture of the two of them.)
My brother Matt, with his wife Anne, and baby, Colin.
I guess we missed a picture of my parents and of course my brother Joe and my brother Rich and his family weren't there. Still a full house.

The kids all love Uncle Dan. (It may have something to do with the fact that he usually has some sort of candy in his pockets for them, but I could be wrong.)
No get together with these boys would be complete without at least some time spent staring at a gameboy or ipod or something.
Apparently there was enough space and leisure time for a little light reading.
A little time spent chatting before listening to my Dad's words of wisdom and watching a couple of videos he wanted us to see.


As always, the view is spectacular.

And finally, it was time to open presents.
No one gets to open presents without help in this crowd.



I just love how all of the kids gather around to see every present that is opened - whether it will interest them or not.


Even Peter got lots of help.

For a kid who talks non-stop about going to the zoo and seeing the animals, an elephant fur-real pet is just the right thing. He loves it.

Samantha had a pretty good idea what her present was and couldn't wait to tear into it.

Yes, just the thing she was hoping for - Hermione's wand.
She began practicing her spells right away.

Duffy was pretty excited about her Tangled doll, as well.

These are the waitress "kits" I made for my nieces. My girls were begging for them, too. I think the girls seemed to like them since they were busy taking everyone's orders for the rest of the evening.



Ellie and Amelia got some American Girl clothes and magic hair detangler. (Something our dolls are in great need of.)

More order taking.

Peter, once again showing his willingness to step in and help in a time of need. We gave Joey Snape's wand, so of course there were wizarding duels taking place almost immediately. (We had to put a quick kabosh on unforgivable curses.)
Shawn and Michelle were clearly having a fun time.
It ended up being a very late evening and our kids were all exhausted, but it was so nice to spend time with family enjoying the Christmas spirit.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Good to see someone making use of these photos. Maybe I'll just link to this on my blog and save myself the time. :) Although those waitress kits need a post of their own, so awesome!