Sunday, December 4, 2011

Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal or How to Make the Best of Your Child's Obsession

So Samantha has been OBSESSED with Harry Potter. Since last October she has probably read the entire series 10 or 11 times. (It was a requirement to read the books before being allowed to see the movies and she was hooked! Never mind that I had been trying to get her to read it for a couple of years before then.) Now, on the one hand, I am thrilled that she loves reading so much, and even happy that she likes Harry Potter because I like Harry Potter, but I am having a hard time getting her to spend much time reading anything else. Sure, she dabbles here and there in other books, but as soon as she's done with a book, Harry Potter is right back in her hands. She knows the books so well that she can tell us what page and what chapter of which book certain things take place. I decided that since she knows it so well, and since she doesn't plan to give up reading the series anytime soon, we ought to get a little more benefit out of it. So I am making her (yes, it has taken a bit of persuasion) read it in spanish.It's a little bit slower process than the typical first book read through, but I still think it's going to be good for her. (What better way to put that Spanish immersion stuff to good use?) Next up - Harry Potter y la càmara secreta.

2 comments:

Thierry said...

so cool!

Rachel said...

That's pretty cool! I once set a goal to read a book in Korean but after about 10 minutes of translating every other word I gave up. She's going to be totally fluent!