Monday, March 21, 2011

A Thought

I've been thinking about ways to better connect with my kids and especially ways to build and uplift them rather than continue to point out what needs work. (As in there are 5 A's on a report card and I ask about the B, rather than just focusing on the A's. - Like I said, I'm working on it.)

Today I came across this quote while reading The Council of Dads, a book that I highly recommend, by the way):

"You don't learn anything when your mouth is open. Your ears, that's a different story..."

Somehow, I think this applies to my relationship with my kids - especially the older ones. It also applies to most of the relationships I am apart of, including family, friends and neighbors. I'm going to give it a shot and try listening and learning more and opening my mouth a little less.
I'm pretty sure that these people all have a lot to teach me.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes, you're such a chatterbox. :) I'm glad you're liking the book. It's probably one I should reread regularly, so I may buy it too. I need to get my iPad so I can buy books without getting more clutter.

Julie said...

Great advice - I can't keep my mouth shut, seriously, I talk WAY to much! Btw, great job on the 1/2 - I want to run that one, but without the wind!!