Monday, January 10, 2011

Ah, January

My least favorite of all the months. First is the big let down after all of the holiday build up, then there's the whole thing about resolutions which brings to mind all of the things that need fixing in my life, plus it's so darn cold and dark and gray and the air is so nasty that you can not only see it and feel it, but also taste it. (Really, it's nasty. Too unhealthy to run in, so all of my training runs have to take place on the treadmill. UGH!) And let's not forget the nightly freezing of the pipes that lead to my kitchen sink and dishwasher. In general, I think January tends to put me in a foul mood. In case you haven't noticed by the significant lack of posts, we have all been struggling with the transition back to school, as well. (One week in and I'm ready for summer break. It wouldn't be so bad if we could eliminate the homework aspect. Actually, that would be a pretty sweet deal. But I'm tired of having no fun family time because of all the homework.)
Anyway, the girls all started ski lessons on Saturday, so Shawn convinced me that it would do me good to go up and ski a little and leave my to-do list behind. It was beautiful up there. Clear air, even a little blue sky and sunshine and significantly warmer than down in the valley. It did, indeed, do me some good. Jonas, Shawn and I spent the morning skiing until Amelia and Duff were done with their lessons. Then it was back to reality. (Unfortunately, that darn to-do list was still waiting to be dealt with!)


Thanks to Rob and Michelle who took Peter so I could ski. He went with them to a baptism and apparently had a great time. When I came to get him, he wanted nothing to do with me. Seriously?! This kid usually makes me feel like a rock star when I walk into a room, yelling, "Mom! Mom! Mom!" and running to me with big open arms. Not this time. He walked into the house and went downstairs to play with the kids. Then when Rob brought him back up he just yelled, "no, no, no!" and cried, reaching for Rob as I pulled him away. Again, seriously? With some of my other kids I use that as a threat, as in, "Do you want to go live with Uncle Rob?" Clearly, that's not going to work with Peter.

Hopefully my griping is done and I can move on. I did notice that it is a little bit light at 5:30 now. That's worth something, right?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We've got to get that drop box set up so you can have the photos of Peter (with my grandma, who loved him) at the baptism. Too bad I didn't get a shot of you prying him out of Rob's arms, that is definitely a first. :)