Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Step Back In Time

My oldest 2 kids have been off on vacation with Grandma Cathy and it has been really strange. Much quieter and much lonelier, too. It has sent me right back to when there were only 3 kids to take care of. At that time, Jonas was the age Amelia is now and Amelia was the age Peter is now. Like so:Clean up has been a bit easier - fewer dishes, fewer messes, fewer requests for things in general. No practicing, no lessons and no need to go anywhere. I guess in that way, it has been a little bit of a vacation for me as well. But I have also been reminded of the need to just get out sometimes for a little bit when it is just you and little kids and no other places to be. (Generally, this need is met by having to drive older kids places.) Most of all, I have missed having babysitters around! Two different nights this week, we were scrambling to find someone to babysit. (Half the girls from the ward were at girls camp, plus the late notice...not much luck.) Thank goodness Jake came through for us and we were able to go to the Rush concert with the Boydens. Lots of fun! I have especially missed the freedom of putting the baby down for a nap and then running to the store to pick up milk or diapers or just get out for a few minutes. Nope, not a possibility when the oldest is only 6. Plus, one of the lightening storms that blew through here this week, totally fried the dishwasher - literally. (At least it explains the smoke and burning smell, but seriously?!) So, since it is so fun to wash dishes by hand, like this: (I know, I know, I really can't complain because a) I have a functioning dishwasher most of the time and b) when I don't, I have someone willing to help out.) But still, it was quickly determined that a new dishwasher was needed, so we went to look for one. Ordinarily, I would have done this absolutely without kids, but due to the circumstances, they all had to come. And....it was the nightmare that I expected it to be. Little girls running rampant up and down the escalators and Peter fussing the whole time because we wouldn't let him out of the stroller - for obvious reasons. Finally, I was able to get them to sit in front of a movie for a few minutes while we finished up. (Yep, mothering at its best!)I miss the big kids and will be glad when they are home again. I hope they are having a wonderful time, and I definitely will be more appreciative of having them available to babysit!

1 comment:

KimberlyD said...

I love the picture of the kids in the boxes! I am just at the beginning of having an in house babysitter. I must admit it is nice. We haven't attempted anything longer than an hour yet, but I did get to go on a bike ride with Chad!