Thursday, August 12, 2010

At the Zoo

I don't know why I always take so many pictures when we go to the zoo. It's not like we haven't been there lots of times before, and I'm sure we'll go again, but I can't seem to help myself. But maybe it's because we go there somewhat regularly that I take so many photos. It's one of those places where I can see how my kids have grown and changed when they stand in front of familiar backgrounds. I have pictures of Jonas at Peter's age sitting on the caterpillar and pictures of him as an almost 12 year old on the same caterpillar. Those are the comparisons I love to see - even though they make me a little sad. So, for those of you who may be interested, here are more than a few photos taken on today's trip to Hogle Zoo:


We all love to watch the baby elephant. (She's grown up a lot, too.)

There is always a fascination with trying to stop the globe from spinning and then to set it spinning in another direction.

Even more fun when you have cousins helping you out.

The ponytail brigade.

Peter was so fun to take this time because he was so interested in watching all of the animals. He protested every time we moved on.

Active monkeys (the ones behind the glass) can keep a crowd entertained for a very long time.

And best of all on this trip to the zoo? I was totally hands free for the first time since Jonas was born. (1998 if you are keeping track.) It was awesome. Jonas happily pushed Peter around and if I accidentally (out of habit) held onto the stroller, he would take it from me so I could fully enjoy my "hands free experience." (Older kids definitely have their benefits!)

423 pounds of Marsh and Stringham kids.


The kids enjoyed learning how to use chopsticks in the Asian Highlands.

Peter found this little stool - just his size and picked it up and carried it around with him most of the time we were there.

More chopsticks practice. Jonas and Robbie mastered the potato pick up.


Samantha was diggin' the hat but was glad she didn't have to have her feet broken and bound to keep them small.

Peter didn't want to be left out of the chopstick experience.

One of the best things about these Marsh cousins, is (almost) everyone has a buddy. (Poor Peter.)


(Insert photo of Ellie and Amelia here since I somehow missed a photo of them.)

A little fun in Discovery Land.

Peter was not interested in being coerced into posing for photos - and he let me know it.

How many kids can fit in an eggshell? I'm pretty sure we could have gotten a few more in there, but they didn't think it was a good idea.

This would have been a great photo if Peter had cooperated. Once again, I can never get a shot of all of the kids smiling and happy at the same time.

We finished up the morning with a stop at 7-11 for slurpees. (Then inside to do jobs and practicing that we didn't even nearly get done before leaving.) Maybe a DVD for the afternoon and then boating tonight. We are trying to pack it in!

What we learned:
1) Getting to the zoo right when it opens is definitely the way to go in the summer time. Cooler, beat the crowds and the animals are active.
2) We have a lot of work to do to get back on schedule for school! I have no idea how we are going to pull it off.

2 comments:

Thierry said...

Love the pictures! You are such a super mom!!!!!!

Rachel said...

Great post, as always. I've never thought about the repetitive pictures like that - I stopped taking my camera to the zoo because I didn't think I needed that many pictures. I like thinking of the progression of my kids that way.