Monday, January 4, 2016

We Like Big Instruments, We Cannot Lie!

Once upon a time, I believed that the cello was a fairly large instrument.

I have now come to realize that I was wrong. 
 I mean, I guess compared to a piccolo, it's pretty darn big, but compared to the other instruments in our home, it's pretty darn portable.  
We didn't set out with any thoughts of having our kids only play large instruments, but somehow it happened. I've hauled the bass and cello back and forth so many times, I can't keep track.  Fortunately moving the harp is a less frequent event, but it's always an event.  Who knew that our car choices would be limited by which ones can carry harps and basses?  Not me.
My kids don't practice nearly enough, but I love listening to the music they make. (Most of the time.)


Samantha's (first) instrument of choice is the harp.  But she also plays the trombone and dabbles in piano, guitar, ukelele and any other instrument she can get her hands on.



Amelia chose (with help and encouragement), the cello.  I've always loved the cello and hoped someone would play it.





Jonas was supposed to play the cello but instead came home with a bass.  I thought I would be disappointed, but I love the bass and it has been a perfect fit for him.  This is a 3/4 size bass which is about 7 feet tall.  Thank goodness he doesn't need a full size because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit.





He does usually wear shoes when he plays...

Oh, hi.  There I am.
Sometimes Jonas has to be remind that his bow is not to be used as a weapon.






Megan, thus far, is also playing the bass.  I was leaning toward the flute just because she would be able to carry it in her back pack, but instead, she's playing the bass because we already owned it. Maybe we can still convince her.



And Peter was mostly feeling left out so picked up the ukelele for fun.  He has his heart set on playing the drums.  (Where in the world would we put a drum kit?) But I'm making him start out with piano just like everyone else.


He's a bit of a ham.






We have some serious work to do before they're ready to perform in public...



1 comment:

Rachelle said...

This is awesome!! Mine only play the piano