Thursday, March 28, 2013

My 40th or Birthday Week, Part 1

Ah yes, the big day finally arrived and I have to say I wasn't really looking forward to it.  At all.  Turning 40 just seems so... depressing.  But, there is no stopping the clock, so I had to carry on with the day regardless of my feelings about it.
The day started bright and early helping Samantha get ready for her medieval feast.  There wasn't much time for anything else before the kids left.
I was in the shower when Shawn popped his head into the bathroom to tell me that Rob and Michelle were here to give me my present.  I was a little nervous about that one because see, Rob is the one who gave me this lovely gift a couple of years ago.  And he has been telling me literally for weeks that he can't wait to give me my birthday present because it was even better than a pink toilet full of flowers.  So, with a bit of trepidation, I hurried and got dressed to see what great gift Rob had gotten to torture me with.  I was relieved to see that it was smallish, but still nervous.  So here is what I unwrapped:

That's right, a life sized pillow of Rob's face!  I know you are all jealous.  It is pretty freaky.  Just so you know, there is no way that thing is going to be left sitting on my bed.  It would give me nightmares.
Once I recovered from that, the rest of the day was pretty normal, you know, cleaning the house, doing laundry, going visiting teaching,  (Interestingly enough, it was also my visiting teaching partner's birthday), running kids around and attending a parent meeting at the school.  So, not so much in the way of celebrating. 

When Shawn and Jonas got home from water polo, it was time to open gifts.  (Yep, Rob was right there with us.)


  Samantha had been dying to give me her present, so she handed me this big bag.
(Of course, I had to wear the birthday hat.)
Then Samantha watched as I unwrapped,
and unwrapped,
and unwrapped,
layer after layer, (see all those wrappings piling up by my feet?)
after layer,
until I finally found a small box with this metal engraving in it - a great big 40 to remind me of how old I am.  She thought it was hilarious.  (I think she gets that from Shawn.)
There was one more larger present to open from Shawn and the kids.
I was totally shocked and thrilled to find out what it was.
It also took a bit of unwrapping,
but this is what I found!  I was so excited!  I have wanted to get a really nice camera for years and I really wasn't expecting it at all.  Can't wait to try it out.
For some reason Shawn had been in a very big hurry to have me unwrap my presents and get out the door.  I didn't know why since we were just planning on going to dinner together, so I didn't give it much thought. But when we walked into the restaurant, I glanced over and noticed that Cathy and Doug were there, and then I noticed my parents and my brother, Jake, and then I realized there were a few other tables filled with friends!  He was so sneaky, I had no idea!  It was so fun to celebrate with everyone.  So a day that started out sort of ho hum, ended on a very happy note with a new camera and being surrounded by family and friends!  I just hope this 40 stuff is all its cracked up to be, but as fas as birthdays go, this was a pretty good one.

No comments: