Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Very Lucky Day

St. Patrick's Day was a very busy day for us. As you can see it started out bright and early (or actually, it was still dark and early) as the girls went outside in search of chocolate coins left behind by those crazy leprechauns.It was a crazy morning and the camera was full so I didn't get a chance to take pictures like I wanted to, but the leprechauns definitely visited and left a mess all over the kids rooms. The girls had built a trap which I so wish I had taken a picture of the night before. It was all propped up with a wooden spoon with a rainbow of skittles to lure them in. But those tricky leprechauns managed to get the skittles and escape unscathed. They did however leave Sprout (The Jolly Green Giant's Son) in there, wearing a leprechaun hat.
There was, of course, some feasting on Lucky Charms as well. (It happens about once a year.) I was off coaching a Young Women's basketball game, while Shawn was off somewhere else, then home to make cookies for my Grandpa's 90th birthday party! This is what the family looked like back in late 1977 or early 1978. (That's me kneeling on the floor in that little red and green dress.) Check out those collars and the side burns!

I couldn't seem to round everyone up once we got there, there were so many cousins to see and places to run around, so we only managed to get a picture of a few of us with my Grandpa Backman.
How lucky (really, blessed) I am to have this man in my life. He is so loving and kind, and such a great example in everything he does in life. He is still so sharp and amazing.
There was lots of sitting around and visiting, which Jonas was not all that excited about, so he spent the time tormenting his siblings. (An activity he truly excels at these days.)

Samantha was clearly enjoying herself, too. (It may have had something to do with the assortment of desserts to choose from.)
The tables were all decorated with different things representing parts of my Grandpa's life. Our table happened to have an old, 1980 "Friend" magazine, that had an article about my Grandpa in it, and a picture of all the grandkids at the time. So there I am again.
I was so excited that my brother, Rich, managed to get a flight into town (barely). Here is a photo of all of my attending family. We were missing my brother, Matt and my brother, Joe.
And, another picture with our spouses that were there. (A couple of those were missing as well.)
Next was a picture of my Grandpa with Janet, and all of his children. Yep, 7 daughters. My mom is the oldest daughter, on the far left.
Then a picture of all of the grandchildren in attendance. I had cousins come in from all over the place. Even one as far away as Germany! And there were still a bunch of us missing. It was sure fun to see everyone and have a chance to visit and catch up a little bit.
Next we tried a picture of all of the great grandchildren with my grandparents. This was really just comical. Some were crying, some were running away, and with several different cameras in front of them, they were looking at different cameras. I kind of wish this had been a video.
All of these snapshots tell the story...
I included these last ones because of my own 2 children on the top row. Remember how I said Jonas is so good at tormenting his siblings? Just watch the 2 of them on the next 3 photos. You can see Jonas trying to look all innocent, but he clearly has a hold of Samantha.
Now he is inflicting some type of torture and she is clearly reacting.
And one last photo to capture the exchange. Ah, the love of brothers and sisters.
Another, closer up of some of the younger kids,
And one more of the inflicted torture.
Other than my battling offspring, it was a really fun event, and a great way to celebrate my Grandpa's life!

No comments: