Monday, October 25, 2010

Puppies!

Yes, I said "puppies!" Fortunately, they are not ours, but we get to enjoy them. Our neighbors from across the street called to say that their dog was having puppies and we should come over. I thought they meant after they were born, but they meant, come over and watch. So we all trooped over there for the "fun." I didn't think to grab my camera, so you'll have to bear with the poor quality phone photos.

Peter was absolutely fascinated by the dog and the puppies. The mother is extremely gentle and wasn't even phased by Peter petting her during her labor. He wanted to hold and pet the puppies (which he did) and he kept giving them little kisses. It was so cute.
I have never actually witnessed a puppy birth up close and personal like this. It was pretty fascinating. I'm sure my kids will be asking all sorts of questions stemming from this ...um... "educational experience." I was just amazed at our neighbors willingness to share the whole thing with us and for handing over puppies to be cuddled within moments after birth. (And that the mother was so calmly allowing us to handle her puppies, as well.)
At last count there were 2 yellow labs and 5 chocolate labs (plus 1 yellow lab that didn't make it) with the possibility of one more to go. Jonas was more disgusted by the dog vomiting than he was by the actual birth process, which I guess is somewhat understandable.
We are not at all in the market for a dog, so this is the perfect way to experience puppies. However, if any of you are looking to get a puppy, they will be ready just in time for Christmas. (With a bit of a price tag attached since they are pure bred and papered and all that.) If the puppies end up with the temperament of their mother, they should be fabulous pets.
Not much sweeter than a pile of newborn pups!

3 comments:

Thierry said...

That really was so neat! I hope you dont mind I took that last picture for my blog too! :)

Rachel said...

Sister, you scared me with that title to your post.

I am sure that was really neat to see!

Jardinefamily said...

What a cool experience for your neighbors to share with you guys!! What kind of dog????Yes we are thinking about it.