Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Parenthood - A little Vent

Is it supposed to be THIS hard? This relentless and this incessant? Must there be battles over absolutely E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.!!?? There are battles over diaper changes, brushing teeth, going to bed, getting up, going to school, unloading the dishwasher, doing flashcards, brushing hair and then hairstyles. Battles over practicing, doing homework, playing video games, buckling car seats, putting on pajamas, who gets what, what we are eating, going to the dentist, who made the mess, doing jobs, mowing lawns, picking up pears, and talking kindly to people.
Is there supposed to be this much crying, whining, pouting, and yelling? (I'm referring to theirs, here, not my own - although that can't be entirely excluded.) Is there supposed to be this much convincing, cajoling, bribing, begging, nagging and even pleading? Is it supposed to be this exhausting? And this messy? Or am I doing something wrong here? (Don't bother answering that - there are plenty of people around here that keep me up to date on my many faults and shortcomings.) Seriously, some days I absolutely dread going to bed because the thought of getting up just to do it all over again is more than I can handle. (These are also the days when I feel like I could really use a nap.)
OK, I think my little rant is over for now. I love being a Mom, but it is really hard and sometimes, I wish someone else could be the Mom for just a little while. But I know I am also very blessed to have these children that are all healthy and well and (mostly) happy. That I have them all here to hold and cherish and learn from. (And I am definitely learning some things, although apparently, I'm a little slower at some lessons than others.)
I'm off now to check on my little darlings while they sleep so that I can see their more angelic sides and be reminded of why I wage these daily battles. Thanks for allowing my little vent, I think I feel better now.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen.

The Photo Scrooge? said...

Two words: boarding school.

You get to see them on vacation and in the summer. Sounds about right.

The Photo Scrooge? said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rich said...

"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up."

Thierry said...

Oh wow. This is quite depressing... however it does make me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one.

KimberlyD said...

:)

Rachel said...

Oh PLEASE keep ranting; it makes me feel SO much better!

Julie said...

So glad to have another comrade on the battlefield - welcome!!