Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Long Post About a Couple of Things That Make Me Feel Old

The one year old in the house is doing his absolute best to keep me from spending more than 10 seconds at the computer - just enough time to see if there is an important e-mail that I should remember to check when I get the chance. That's not what's making me feel old though, just tired. Anyway,

1) Jonas turned 12. TWELVE!!! Just yesterday he was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine and now he's just so big. Honestly, I don't feel old enough to have a 12 year old. I know the numbers all add up, but how is it possible? Looking back, I just can't believe how fast it has gone.

On the day he was born:
About 1 1/2(?) with cool trampoline hair.
Age 12:
Shawn and I surprised him by showing up at school to take him to lunch - all by himself. All in all, he thought his birthday was awesome. Of course, all it takes to make him happy is a couple of books and occasionally a new video game. That's a win for me.

2) Shawn and I just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary. Our marriage is now old enough to drive. Don't know how that happened either. I still feel like I'm 22 (Okay, maybe 26, but still!) This picture is our very first date. (November 2002. Whoa - almost 18 years ago.) It was to the Kappa Fall Formal. Yes, I asked him out first. (He was supposed to be a safe date. You know - fun because we were already friends, but not a threat since I had a boyfriend who was at school somewhere else.) Well, we can all see how well that worked out. But how lucky am I to have spent the past 16 years married to my best friend?
To celebrate, we went to Jonas' Court of Honor where he was awarded 10 merit badges, his Second Class and his First Class. (Whew. That was a lot of hard work.)
The happy scout:
Then back to the house to eat cake and ice-cream with Grandma and Grandpa for Jonas' birthday. The Cake Boss and his assistant (me) came up with this in honor of Jonas' greatest love - reading. (This was a 2 cake affair. One chocolate for the cover and one vanilla for the pages.)

So, to sum up, Happy Birthday to Jonas and congratulations on your scout awards. You worked hard and we are proud of you. And, a day later, Happy Anniversary to Shawn. Thanks for still putting up with me!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hmmmm. Great post, happy things. Fun to see you today...

Julie said...

Awesome cake! If it makes you feel any better, Chris and I celebrate our 19th in a couple weeks . . . right after he turns 45! Time and age are just a state of mind, right??

Jardinefamily said...

I can't believe Jonas is 12. That is a great cake. Was there anything in the pages???jelly filling perhaps:)