Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quote of the Moment

"We are not good judges of ourselves when we reach for goals which are meant for other seasons of our lives."

I read this quote by Ardeth G. Kapp on the Power of Moms website the other day and have been thinking about it ever since. I have several friends and neighbors who are my age (or very near it) who seem to be in a totally different phase of life. You know, all their kids in school all day, able to feed and dress themselves and so on, with all sorts of extra free time to use as they please.
And often when I go to church, I come home feeling guilty because of the list of important things that I feel I am failing to do. I have these grand illusions, um, I mean, delusions of what I can and should be accomplishing with my life right now and then find myself constantly frustrated at my inability to actually do so. At this point I can't even keep up with the laundry and the dishes or read a book, let alone attend the monthly Relief Society temple trip or look for opportunities for service or missionary work, teach my kids to read in preschool and make sure they know about everything they need to for the life ahead of them. (Even to post this I had to wait until all the kids were finally in bed so I would have a minute to myself.) And I know many Moms who are in this same phase and still manage to pull it all off. Some can. I can't. I have to keep reminding myself that my service needs to be in my home right now. And this quote helps me to remember that that is OK. My time for accomplishing the many other things on my list will come - eventually. I am by no means in any hurry to have my kids grow up but I do occasionally get weighed down with the dailiness of it all. You know, the things that have to be done over and over again every day. So when I can find a little something that helps me to remember to find joy in the little things, I try to take note of it.
And there is no way I would trade my other desired accomplishments for the 5 great accomplishments I have right here in my house.

5 comments:

KimberlyD said...

I am sorry that you get overwhelmed. I think that we all do. You are a supermom in my eyes, and definitely one of my role models.

Marti said...

Melissa-I love, love, love this quote and post. I feel like I can 100% relate. I have to keep reminding myself that there are different seasons in life-and that I need to really enjoy where I am now. Not try to compare myself or my life to those who may have more 'me' time than I do. :-)

You have such a beautiful family and you guys always seem to be out and active and having fun and I think it's amazing.

Rachel said...

Very validating, what you just wrote there. And I LOVE that quote. Thanks for verbalizing what I mentally struggle with every single day! And guess what. I don't think there's a single person out there who "has it all together" - who is really able to keep every ball in the air that we think we should have up there. They're hiding something, trust me! Hang in there, momma, you're doing a good job.

Julie said...

Well said - my aunt told me something along these lines when I first had Ryan and it's stayed with me ever since. . . Keep enjoying the present moment because one day you'll miss the "daily-ness" of motherhood - it goes much too quickly!

Rachelle said...

Melissa, thanks for this post. It happens to be a day I really needed it. I appreciate you sharing and your perspective!