Thursday, July 15, 2010

Penelope Polka Dot

Some of you may be familiar with Camilla Cream from the book, The Bad Case of Stripes. Well, this morning Penelope Polka Dot showed up at our house. Poor Amelia had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic she was taking and has been totally miserable and itchy. Covered from top to toe with a lovely rash.(By the way, she does not respond well to being called Penelope Polka Dot, which is why I'm sure the kids keep saying it.)
It has been one of those weeks. As much as I love dentists and doctors, I hope not to see one in a professional setting for quite some time. Last week, 3 kids went in for dental work and Amelia was cooperative as ever. (By that I actually mean that she was, as usual, a rather difficult patient - requiring conscious sedation and ending up with said sedating medicine all over her because of her refusal to ingest it in a regular fashion.) Anywho, after the completion of the dental work, she was given amoxicillin (sp?) to prevent any possible infection which was all fine and dandy because she didn't take that any better than the other medicine. It required hours of my time, threats, and physical force to get the antibiotic into her 2x a day. Fun. Then at the end of the week, Peter refused to eat and was super fussy. By the weekend, I discovered that his mouth, tongue and gums were covered with big painful sores. He was crying because of the pain and because he was starving since it hurt too much to eat anything. Also fun. So off to the doctor Monday morning where we learned that it was a viral infection that would have to run its course (but should never return) and all we could do was give him Tylenol to help ease the pain and some sort of liquid nourishment to keep him fed. My Tylenol reserves were running low so I went to get more. Guess what? Infant Tylenol has been recalled so can't be found. Several stores are back ordered on all other brands as well. Four stores later, I finally found an equivalent and brought it home to put to good use. Come home from the doctor with Peter to find Amelia cuddled up and shivering under a blanket on the couch. Burning up with fever. Great. No big deal, it will pass, I'm sure. (Pretty sure its the same fever that the neighbors had.) She essentially sleeps for 2 days and seems to be feeling better by Wednesday. Thursday morning, get ready to finally take her to swimming and find that she is covered with this lovely rash. So off to the doctor again with suspicions that she is having an allergic reaction. (Familiar because we've done this before with Samantha.) Yep, it is. Stop the amoxicillin and start the benadryl. All this while spending the week being the neighborhood chauffeur to and from swimming and ballet (which I am totally good with because I am often the beneficiary of the carpooling as well.) Let's hope this is the end of the fun - at least for a little while. Now time to make decisions about what to do with the basement...

3 comments:

KimberlyD said...

I am so sorry! What a horrible week. I wish I had been around and could have taken over carpooling for you. Thank you! Once again, you prove to me that you are Super-Mom.

Keersten said...

No fun! Hopefully next week gets a lot better. In the meantime, maybe Sean should send you for a massage or even a run--or something!

Rachel said...

Oh darlin' - how miserable! I'm finding myself wishing I was your neighbor so I could have helped out a little...maybe I'm glad I live far away, now that I think about it! Hope everyone makes a speedy recovery!