Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Positive Reinforcement

Before, I get into my next little segment, let me just begin by saying that I love being a mother. I do. However, it is really hard. It is a thankless and exhausting job that I usually feel like I am not doing particularly well no matter how hard I try or work at it. I get lots of "You hate me", or "you are a meanie!", and whining and complaining and so forth. And I am the first to admit that dividing my time 5 ways has been a struggle. Most of the time I feel like I am barely holding it all together (or that I'm not at all.) However, every once in awhile one of the kids surprises me. Like when I was pulling all of the papers and things out of Jonas' backpack and found this book that he had made at school about dragons and magic and stuff. I opened it and found this dedication at the front:

(Sorry for the poor photo quality - it says, "to Mom and Dad for putting the magic in my life")

Well...maybe I'm doing OK after all. (And I don't mean to say that I don't ever get positive reinforcement in this role, because I do. Listening to my kids play and laugh or seeing their faces light up when they see me, their sweet hugs and sweet words make it all worth it. But getting a little extra doesn't hurt.)
Also, we are always working to teach our children to be good people, and often worry (based on their behavior) that we are failing miserably, but in this book, I got a little glimpse that maybe some of it has sunk in after all. Jonas wrote a "code of behavior". It says, "I want to be my best by being kind to other people, doing my best work, listening" (Oh, maybe there is hope!!!! If only being kind to other people could also include his sisters.) He also wrote: "1. Don't underestimate self, 2. Be proud of your work, 3. Stand up for others" Really, if Jonas could follow this code of behavior all the time, I would think he was doing a pretty good job.
Nothing like a little positive reinforcement to make me realize how blessed I am. I am so grateful to be a mom to these wonderful kids.

5 comments:

Thierry said...

Thats awesome! So good to find something like that to keep you going! :) And I, by the way, think you are one of the most incredible moms I know!

Marti said...

Nice!

And I don't know how you find the time or patience to deal with 5 kids. I feel like I'm spread SO thin with my 4--can't imagine adding another to the mix! I hope the positive reinforcement keeps coming for you! Because a mom's job is tough.

KimberlyD said...

I love it. This post made me tear up.

Rachel said...

That is awesome! I wonder how long I have to wait for something like that....just kidding. There's a little glimpse of hope from time to time. I have to say that Jerry Maquire said something once that for me describes parenting perfectly: "It's an up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege that I will NEVER fully tell you about." That about covers it, don't you think?

Rachelle said...

Love the "magic"!! So cute. Did you hear that Amy (Brandon's Amy) is also going to have three girls and two boys? YAH! Anyway, please check out my new blog (since October) at www.greattobetogether.blogspot.com

See you there!!