Saturday, November 14, 2009

An Early Christmas Present

As a general rule, I don't like to get ahead of myself on holidays. No Christmas before Thanksgiving and so on. But for quite some time now, we have been suffering with a very slow computer. I have loved my iMac, but I've had it for 6 or 7 years, and we had maxed out the memory and who knows what else. So with the touch of every button, we have played the waiting game - never knowing just how long it would take for the computer to actually respond to the command. And too many commands at once or too many open windows would shut the whole thing down. We've been talking about a new computer for months, and something must have nudged Shawn a little. (He may have finally lost patience with the computer.) He decided we needed to go computer shopping, and once he makes that sort of decision, it's time to act, and so here we are with our early Christmas present - the new computer.It is of course, a new iMac, but the screen is huge. When I asked Shawn why I needed a screen this big, he just looked at me like I was nuts. Why wouldn't I need a screen this big? I was afraid the computer would overwhelm the space on my desk, but now that it's here I don't mind it.
The keyboard is much smaller and since everything is wireless, with no extra speakers, I actually have more desk space than I used to!

It's kind of like David and Goliath (only we like both David and Goliath in this story.) And I guess that now I can see what the kids are working on from clear across the room. Two iMacs - one for the kids and one for me (and Shawn). I think we're all happy with this, but I can't get the kids to stop playing with photobooth on my new computer!

2 comments:

Jardinefamily said...

I am typing from the exact same IMac and I love it so, so, so, so much. Why did I wait so long to switch? Enjoy.

kristen @ just-iced cookies said...

you will love it. one of my new faves is a widget for the dashboard called "iTube" - plays a corresponding music video to whatever is playing in iTunes. have fun!!