Thursday, September 17, 2009

Meet the Newest Member of the Family

I have reached the conclusion that despite the 5 degrees that are hanging on our walls, Shawn and I may not be very bright.  Why else would we allow a child to choose another enormous instrument to play?  Apparently we think big instruments make beautiful sounds.  I have been pushing Jonas towards the cello for a few years, but then Shawn suggested the bass and Jonas decided that would be pretty cool.  This thing is huge!  And keep in mind, this is only a 1/4 size bass.  Within a year or two, he should move up to a 1/2 size and then a 3/4 size which has got to be at least 7 feet tall.  The thing about the bass is that he can't exactly strap it on his back and ride his bike to the bus stop.  And the thought of the damage that could occur as he tried to take it on the bus - well, it comes down to the fact that as his mother, I am the lucky one who gets to haul the bass to school and back for him.  (Like I said, this is probably proof that we aren't very smart.)
I guess the good news is that since we already have the suburban, we don't need to invest in  new car to move it.  (Same with Samantha's harp.)  However, if it is ever necessary to move both the harp and the bass, then I guess the kids will have to stay home.
Still, it does sound really cool.





6 comments:

Keersten said...

Okay, that is just plain cool.

Marsh Mayhem said...

When will he debut with the Grey Dogs?

Rachel said...

Oh I am laughing. At you. At least it's not a puppy, which is what I thought when I read the title of your post. Ha! Well, it is really neat, and I'm admiring of you for how much you'll do to have music in your kids' life. I cannot muster than energy right now. I can barely get my kid to read for 20 min. a night.

KimberlyD said...

I mentioned to Chad once that if we ever have a boy that I would love to have him play the bass. Chad gave me the whole large instrument lecture.

kristen @ just-iced cookies said...

WOAH! that thing is huge!

Jardinefamily said...

Maybe if he really goes with it he can play upright in all of Shawn's bands. Upright is way cooler than electric base :)