Saturday, May 18, 2013

Dance Recital

Right smack dab in the middle of the state water polo tournament, the girls had their dance recital.  It was a busy weekend - 3 water polo games and 3 dance performances all criss crossed and mashed together.  (At least it felt that way.)  I had to buy a ticket for Shawn to each performance hoping he could make it to one, since the schedule for the water polo games was dependent on wins or losses - so no way to plan ahead on that one.  He did manage to make it to the Friday night performance and then we immediately rushed off to a late water polo game.  Seriously, by the end of the weekend, we were exhausted.
We've moved to a new dance studio, so the plus side was that all 3 of my girls were in the same performance, but the downside (at least for an already over packed weekend) was that there were 3 performances.  Although 3 performances does make the cost of costumes a little more bearable and you get to see your girls dance for more than 3 minutes total, so maybe it's a wash...

Anyway, I of course, couldn't take any photos during the performance so here are my dancers before:

Duffy as a lollipop girl.  (The recital was The Wizard of Oz.)

Duffy, the lollipop girl, with Amelia the Munchkin.  Duffy is upset here because her tap shoes were missing.  Yep, we got to the theater only to discover that her shoes hadn't made it with us.  There were frantic calls home to Shawn to see if he could find them and bring them, but no such luck.  There was frantic searching through the dressing rooms and all over, and asking other dancers and moms if anyone had any extra shoes.  No shoes anywhere.  While I was out in the lobby calling Shawn, someone gave her some shoes to wear.  Phew!  That was a close one.  I still don't know where they came from - possibly from a box they brought form the studio full of all the shoes girls had left there over the year.  (Of course, you know what happened.  Cleaning up at home on Monday morning, I found her shoes.  Seriously.)

Amelia with a couple of her friends from school.

All 3 of my beautiful dancers.  Samantha was part of the interlude at the beginning and also part of the yellow brick road.  I didn't get a picture of that since that costume change happened during the show.

The dancers with Grandpa Ralph and Grandma Judy.  Grandma Cathy and Doug also made it to a performance, but I had been frantically looking for shoes and wasn't in the right mind to remember to take a photo.  (And Jonas was put out enough already that he had to attend the recital at all, so I didn't push my luck on trying for a photo of the boys.)

Samantha was in charge of her own hair for this whole thing and she used so much gel that even after she took the elastic out of her pony tail, her hair essentially stayed in the pony tail.  It was kind of like it had been shellacked.



Awesome stuff I tell you.  I'm sure it took a gallon of shampoo to wash it all out.
They all danced beautifully and I think they have really enjoyed doing some other types of dance than just ballet.  Fun to watch, but I'm glad for it to be over, too.

No comments: