Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cyclocross Race #2

Yesterday, I was able to go to Wheeler Farm and watch Shawn race cyclocross. The race is set up in a circuit, so the riders do however many laps their race is. This is also nice for viewing because you can see so much of the course. Shawn is riding in the rookie league since this is only race #2. I think the rule is that after 4 races or 3 podiums, you have to move up a level. It is pretty fun to watch.This photo doesn't really show how steep this hill was, but you can see all the sand they had to ride through. This was one of the places a lot of riders had to get off and carry their bikes.




A few of the higher level riders managed to bunny hop these barriers, but none of the rookie riders did. I guess Shawn still has to work up to that. No podium this time, but he did have a flat tire (again) and got stuck behind a crash where the guy probably broke his leg. No good.
It looks like a ton of fun - for him. This is one that I just don't know that I will ever do. I just don't have the bike handling skills to make all the turns and maneuvers, and I struggle riding in a pack on a nice paved road. I like my space around me. In cyclocross, there's a lot of trying to cut around and shoot through whenever there's an opening. Plus that whole part about having to sprint up a hill while carrying your bike just doesn't appeal to me that much. We'll see how I feel after next week. I think there's a race in Heber and with the big storm that's predicted, it could be a big, cold, muddy mess. All the more fun, right?

No comments: