Friday, August 26, 2011

A Very Hot Afternoon

Before school started, we had planned to go to Tracy Aviary, but as things were winding down, it quickly became apparent that we weren't going to fit it in, so Michelle and I decided we would go on the first Friday after school started. At the time, we didn't know it would be 100 degrees, but I'd already told my kids, so we were committed. (Joey decided it wasn't worth it to go out in the heat, so the girls invited their friend Hallee instead.)We were all mesmerized (and totally disgusted) watching the King Vultures tear apart their fish.
I used to keep parakeets as pets, but somewhere along the way, birds kind of started creeping me out. (Probably after watching, "The Birds." In which case I guess I have to blame the Boydens because I'm pretty sure we watched that with them back in the pre-children days.) Despite that, I still always think that eagles are beautiful and majestic looking (even if their talons and beaks are a little intimidating.)
Peter spent much of the time running around flapping his arms and "tweeting" like a bird. (Of course, we are talking actual tweeting here, not the social networking type.)
We stopped at all of the photo spots although I didn't actually take photos of all of them. Mostly I was trying to move from shady spot to shady spot while emptying my water bottle.


We forced everyone to stop for a group photo. I think Peter was still trying to fly and didn't appreciate the interruption. (It was just after this photo that a kid fell into the water. Fortunately, not one of ours. I felt bad for the poor kid because the water was disgusting, but as far as I could tell, he just walked right off the edge of the walkway, and it was a little funny. I didn't stoop to taking a picture of the scene, but in hindsight I kind of wished I had. That's the sort of thing that makes these little visits memorable.)
The kids had all brought swim suits to run through the fountain at Liberty Park, but it was the consensus that full water immersion would be required to cool down, so we headed to the Tennis Club to swim instead. (Had I seen this coming, I would have brought my own suit. I didn't have any plans to be "that lady" running through the fountain, but I certainly would have gotten in the pool. As it was, the kids played and I was hot.)







(Almost) everyone returned home refreshed and hungry and ready to enjoy our weekly pizza and movie night.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ellie and Ainsley were checking out these photos and Ainsley said, "Mom, Melissa is kicking your butt." Cracked me up. It's so true. Not just blogging either. :)