Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lucky 13

As of 6:25 this morning, we are officially parents of a teenager. Yep, Jonas has reached the ripe old age of 13. (According to Shawn's calculations, we will be parents of teenagers for the next 6,422 days, 917 weeks, or 9,247,680 minutes - or roughly 17 years and 7 months - give or take a few hours -until Peter turns 20 on March 31, 2029. Whew! Let's hope we survive!)

Poor Jonas got stuck being the one to break us in. He may have things a little harder, but there are advantages, too. I'm sure he's gotten away with a lot because we had no idea what we were doing. Either way, I am so glad to have him. He even posed nicely for me in the birthday hat. We'll see how many more years I can make that happen.
Samantha took the close up of the present opening because she feels that is the most important part.
A gift card - every teenagers favorite gift.
Jonas didn't ask for anything (he never does), so sometimes we have to get creative and hope we find something he likes. So he ended up with some rock climbing gear. (I've only agreed to gym climbing thus far.)
He also made no special requests as far as cake goes, so he ended up with a frosted cake blob. I've made this yummy brownie cake so many times. (It was the go-to birthday cake at my house growing up - and I've made it several times since.) However, things just didn't go quite right. It could be that I tried making it as a round cake instead of a sheet cake or that it didn't quite get time to cool completely (I was trying to finish it up before he got home from school.) Either way, it just wouldn't hold together. It was a bit of a disaster to look at but still tasted great.

Jonas loves these specific jelly beans from sweet's so I made a special trip to the candy factory to get some for him. As you can see, he was over-joyed.
Still can't believe it's true - I really am the parent of a teenager. Thanks for making me a parent Jonas!

No comments: