Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Family Work Day





After a couple of major tantrums from the kids when we've asked them to clean up their things, we have decided that our kids really need to learn how to work.  Phase 1 of the Stringham Children Work Training Plan involves yard work.  This is how we spent the first part of the holiday - with all able workers participating.  The older kids actually put in some good effort - which was a nice change.  One of them did run off every few minutes to check the time so they would know how much longer they had to keep at it, but still an improvement. (I'm sure the threat of no summer solstice party if they wouldn't help out was a little bit of a motivator.)   We didn't make them work all day.  We enjoyed a lunch of jambas and bagels and had fun at a Memorial Day barbeque at the Burt's house.
After this I think phase 2 will involve toilets, floors and possibly laundry.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

If only teaching them to work wasn't so much work for us! :)

Rachel said...

That's pretty dang impressive! And I so agree with Michelle's comment - half the time (okay, more than that) I give up on getting the kids to pitch in because it's just easier to do it myself. I keep wondering when I'm going to get fired from parenting. So far, not yet!