Monday, June 8, 2009

Could It Be?


There are a just a few things with parenting that if I could hire out, I would in a heart beat.  One of those is potty training. I hate potty training!  I have been dreading potty training Megan.  I have been avoiding it because of a new baby and because she's not yet 3.  But on the other hand, I've been changing so many diapers!!!!  I started feeling a little self-imposed pressure to start the process and made a couple of very feeble, half-hearted attempts with pull-ups that quickly concluded with wet pull-ups.
  After a comment from a friend on how someone else we know potty trains, I decided to just be much more laid back for now and not worry too much about it.  I decided to just offer her the chance to go to the bathroom when she got up or when it was convenient for me.  If she didn't want to do it, no big deal.  If she did, and she was successful, make a big deal about it but don't push it.  Well, last Saturday, I asked her and she wanted to wear underwear.  I didn't think that was such a great idea because I was going to be gone a big part of the day and Shawn was planning to work in the yard all day, but she insisted.  I warned Shawn when I left that he either needed to get her back into a diaper or be very vigilant with her.  When I came back later in the day, Shawn told me Megan needed a "potty treat" because she had gone to the bathroom all on her own -with no accidents. On Sunday, she also insisted on wearing underwear despite my pleading with her to just wear a pull-up to church so I wouldn't have to worry about it.  Again - she did fine with no accidents.  Repeat Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc...I think she might be potty trained.
  I hope I'm not tempting fate by writing about it.  I kind of keep waiting for it all to end.  It just seemed too easy.  Shawn attributes it to our fine parenting skills, but I most definitely do not.  Most things that our kids do are probably in spite of us rather than because of us.  Whatever the reason or cause, I'll just be happy to accept it for the gift that it is for as long as it lasts.  (I hope it's permanent!)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

This potty-training method is ALMOST as good as our first one: going on a cruise and coming home to find that the grandmas had done it.

K said...

my fingers are crossed, if she keeps it up, I'll bring her a potty treat myself

Keersten said...

I can't even begin to describe my envy! That is so awesome. Maybe after you've potty trained 3 times, you get a free pass for the rest! :D

The Burts said...

Awesome job! These are my exact thoughts on potty training, let the child lead and do what you feel is right as the child's parent. Advice from others does not always prove to be helpful. In other words, there is a such thing as poor advice. Speaking from experience.

Rachel said...

WOW. That's just about all I can say! WOW!!! I so agree with your last paragraph - our baby is doing such a good job sleeping - in her own bed, nice long naps, knowing that night time is sleep time...it's amazing. And I'm expecting it to end any second. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts! Can't wait to see your baby again...