Tuesday, October 30, 2012

How Many Pumpkins Does It Take...

...for this family to get ready for the annual neighborhood pumpkin carving party?
Apparently, it's a whole bunch.  (Woody here, is playing the role of Vanna White in our pumpkin display.)

Seriously, when did this happen?  It seems we used to be able to get by with just 2 or 3 small or medium-ish pumpkins.  Apparently, those days are over.
My kids start asking about this party at the first hint of October and have been counting down the days.  Our neighbors are so awesome.  Their entire house and garage are given over to Halloween festivities.  Tables and tables are set up filled with pumpkin carving tools, buckets on the ground to put all the "guts" into and some of the most amazing and cool decorations you've ever seen.  The pumpkin carving is taken very seriously.  Samantha has had this one planned since last November and I guarantee she is not the only one to have put this much time and thought into her pumkin.
A lovely photo of my ever-cooperative 14 year old.
Shawn hard at work helping the little girl's pumpkin dreams come true.

Some views of the carving that goes from inside the garage clear to the end of the driveway.  (Thank goodness for the nice weather!)
A couple of the decorations.  The mummy moves in and out of his case and the mad scientist guy is complete with beating heart, etc.  Creepy stuff.  One of these years I will remember to take my good camera and take pictures of all the decorations.
Samantha's pumpkin man is almost complete.
Some of the crowd getting ready to vote for their favorite pumpkins.

Of course, my phone camera couldn't really catch the whole picture here, but my kids felt it was very important that I tkae photos to post on the blog, so bear with us here.  Samantha's pumpkin man.
A general collection of jack o lanterns.
Peter's pumpkin complete with smile modeled after Amelia.

Duffy's vampire girl.

Amelia's Woody pumpkin.
Jonas' spider pumpkin.  (Well, it started out as a spider, but due to some unfortunate carves, took a slight turn into something else, but still looked cool in the end.)
If you can believe it, we actually ended up taking home one of the coveted m&m filled trophys.

(Crazy kid.)
Yep, Samantha's pumpkin man won.
This left some of the others a little disappointed.
OK, very disappointed, actually. See the red cry eyes here?


 In fact, some individuals my have had full on tantrums about not winning anything.
You can see how badly Samantha felt about winning.
And Jonas decided to play along just for fun.  Believe me, this didn't help Amelia feel any better.
Still wishing I had taken my good camera so you could see the top vote winner which was the death star.  Amazing.  By the way, he wins every year.  The other winners were all very impressive.  They have carving skills that I lack, but as you can see, it was important for us to take our crying children home.  We'll see if they get to go back next year or not.

1 comment:

Julie said...

SO fun getting caught up with all the Stringham Halloween happenings - made my morning - I laughed until I cried!! I love your family - I doubt there is a family on the planet that has as much fun as you guys - tantrums and all :).