Monday, November 12, 2012

RAGNAR: Las Vegas

Somehow, someone talked me into doing this race.  Here's Van 1 getting ready to head out.  We left Thursday afternoon and drove to St. George where we spent half a night at my parent's house.  We were up about 2:30 in the morning to make the drive to the Las Vegas ski resort for the start.
You would think Vegas would be pretty warm in November, but it was not!  At the top of the mountain, in the early morning it was soooo windy and cold.  We were being pelted with hail, too.  It was so windy that all of the port-a-potties at the first transition had blown over.  That clearly wasn't going to work out in the long run, so Shawn and Chad took on a little service project to get as many of them up right as possible 

They had to use a few to stabillize the others so they wouldn't just keep blowing over.  I wish these pictures showed just how hard it was blowing.
Fortunately, the weather didn't stay like that for the whole race.  There was still plenty of cold and wind, but at least the sky cleared up and the sun came out.  The guys found these eagle shirts and all wore them on their runs.  It kind of became the team theme.  Man, those are ugly shirts.

We had a little picnic in the parking lot.  Just like last time, people were jealous of our fully catered pasta meal.  Van 1 didn't seem quite as bad as Van 2 was at the Wasatch back.  Van 2 let us use their hotel room for a few hours and just getting a little bit of sleep made a HUGE difference.
I definitely finished feeling much better than at the last Ragnar.  But my running legs were a bit less challenging as well.
Shawn and I (and several other team members) also got out Saints to Sinners medals for finishing both Wasatch Back and Vegas.

So glad to be done!
All of the Saints to Sinners Medalists...
And the whole Millcreek Militia team at the finish line.
After the race, we all went out to eat and to see the newest James Bond movie.  It was good, but I was so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open.  I had to keep poking my really sore muscles to stay awake.

The ride home was pretty cushy, since the Morgans went home in a different car with their kids.  We folded down the middle seats and had a pretty good set up.  Enough space for napping,
and totally stretching out.
We passed this truck on our way home, shortly after it had been totally burned up.
We switched places part way home so Shawn and I could stretch out, too.
Yeah, he's hugging a jar of jelly bellies.  They really hit the spot after a long run apparently.
When we got home, Samantha couldn't wait to show us this treat she had made.  Awesome, huh?  A rice krispie treat Ragnar logo. 
A couple pictures of the car before I washed it all off.

I still don't know that I love this whole Ragnar thing, but I have definitely had great teammates!  This team was made up entirely of couples in our neighborhood.  They made it a (mostly) fun event.  I may even have enjoyed myself for a good part of the time.  (We also managed to miss the massive snowstorm that came through here while we were out of town.)  Some of them are already talking about future Ragnars, but I'm not ready to commit just yet.

No comments: