Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crazy Hair Day

It's Spirit Week at our elementary school this week. (Oh, it's so nice to have everyone at just one elementary school - but I digress.) Today's theme is crazy hair day - a favorite for the girls (and therefore we spent much more of our morning doing hair than typical.) Since Jonas is in 7th grade, he didn't participate - at least not officially. He generally has crazy hair everyday that we work hard to make look normal.

Samantha's creation. (At least this year it didn't require any wires.)
Amelia's hair - by Samantha. (It was a nice surprise to come home from my run this morning and find that this was already taken care of. One of the few times Amelia didn't mind having Samantha "style" her hair.) Now if someone could just take care of that fraggle tooth in front that has just being hanging there and sticking out at odd angles for weeks! (She won't let us touch it.)
And last, but not least, Duffy's crazy hair.
A little crazy face to go with the crazy hair.
Peter wanted in on the photo action, too. Samantha and Amelia had gotten him dressed this morning and also given him crazy hair (a mohawk - with vast quantities of hair spray.) Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of it before he decided to climb in the shower this morning. I'm sure another opportunity will arise - the girls are always trying to "fix" his hair.

Here we are on our way to school, with Amelia's friend Hallee and her crazy hair, But what you should really notice in this photo is Samantha's trombone. (Yes, somehow she talked Shawn into renting a trombone so she could play it in the band at school. We are on instrument overload around here.) I told her that I wasn't going to drive her to school twice a week just because she wanted to play an instrument (yep, I'm the mean mom who expects my kids to use their legs to walk to and from school everyday.) I tried to suggest that she should pick something smaller so she could carry it more easily, but she wouldn't be deterred. (I guess I should be glad she didn't pick the tuba, although it would have gone so nicely with our other enormous instruments - harp and upright bass.) Anyway, after a couple of times of having to carry it, she's been trying to come up with a "solution." So today, she used lots of packing tape and carefully taped her trombone to this little skateboard so that she could wheel it all the way to school.
Of course, once she gets to school she'll have to untape it and she didn't take extra tape, so this was this morning's conversation.

Shawn: "So, Samantha, how are you going to get the trombone home?"

Samantha: "Oh, that won't be a problem. Someone else always carries my case so I can be a one-man band."

I guess that means that she's been playing the trombone for all of the neighbors to hear as she walks home. Hmm, that might not be too bad if she could actually play music on it, but so far it sounds mostly like a sick elephant. (My apologies to everyone on the 1 mile route from school to my house.) And I'm still not sure which of the kids she has finagled into carrying her case for her.

I hadn't thought that my hair was looking too spectacular in it's post-run pony tail, but in comparison to the girls, I guess it looks pretty tame. Anyway, we enjoyed another beautiful walk to school - crazy hair, trombone and all.